Thursday, December 29, 2005

3, 2, 1...


I had a good night last night. I came home from work and was watching the boys when the phone ring (ring) (kind of like you were there, huh?) Anyhow, it was Budha and he was inviting me to hang out with some friends. They were headed to Norwood around 9 and wanted me to join in.
Now at some point I've adapted my kid's schedule. It sort of feels like - when Grif goes to bed...then I start winding down. Last night I was ready for bed around 7:30. So I just couldn't see going to Norwood at 9. Anyhow, before I mentioned this, Budha said I should invite them to our house...it's right in the middle of where everyone lives....I wouldn't have to get a babysitter....Annie wouldn't have to miss it. It's win win.
I was still a little tired, but it ended up being a great night. They left at 12:15ish and all was well. I haven't hung out with anyone past midnight in months (at least).
This Saturday we're hanging out with about a dozen or so friends for a New Years Eve party deal.
I rarely have a great New Years Eve because I tend to put too much pressure on the night. It just seems like a night where you have to stay out late...and have to have fun. Last night there was no pressure...just hanging out....past midnight...and I wasn't looking at my watch every five minutes waiting for Midnight.
It was good.
It's nice to just do...not to plan...no pressure...just do.
It's like when you volunteer to work late and the time flies by because you know you can leave whenever you want. It's this bonus time where you're on your own.
You help a friend move...and it just seems less stressful. It's not your thing...and you feel pretty good about helping...and you can leave whenever you want.
It's all bonus time.
I think a pretty good sell for taking Sabaths is that it's 24 hours of "bonus time". You're really freed up to help folks out, sit on the couch and fondle the remote, play with your kids, write some letters...it just kind of happens.
it's good...
just extra...
nice little bonus...
might be worth a shot
(I know...I know...it's also a day to be with God....I guess a bonus day with God wouldn't be the worst thing either...)

No comments:

Post a Comment