Wednesday, June 13, 2007

world revolves around my general area


I know that the one word that everyone loves best (according to a bunch of science geeks that have done many studies about such things) is their own name (even dan kalbach...."hi this is dan kalbach, you can leave me a message and I'll call back....get it....call back is like kalbach" it's his answering message, you'll have to ask him).

So you'd think I'd spend more time trying to remember people's names, but I'm busy (see previous post) and incredibly important. I'm so important that I can show up late to meet you, because my time is more important than yours. It's understandable that someone as busy as me doesn't have time to remember the thousands of names of people who come to me for various things (money, advice, socks, how to include a bunch of these ( ) in a post).

It's always interesting to think about how much time people spend ruminating on even the simplest of compliments. Apparently that's a really big deal to people. It's hard though to take 7 seconds from thinking about me and instead thinking about what the great things about this person I'm looking at are....

I guess that'd make a difference in their day if I took those 7 seconds and actually asked, "what's happening in their life that's really exceptional?" "What's a bigger deal than how nice their shoes are or how high their collar is up?" I guess if I were to verbalize some of the things in their life that were worth noting, that might actually stick with them for a few hours.

It might cheer them up if they're having a rough day. It might keep them going a little longer on a long day. It might just take an average "C" day and turn it into a "B" or a "B+" or an "A-" or a "pass" or an "A" or a....I guess you get the point.

too bad I'm too darn focused on me and all of my stuff.

ah well...

2 comments:

  1. I got to see Bob Saget in his greatest performance ever last night.

    Half Baked

    What a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once upon a time, I was invited over to dinner at the Murphy house. But then, because SMM was too important, he cancelled, and has yet to reschedule.

    The End.

    ReplyDelete