Friday, June 29, 2007

Happy 29th of June


I had someone at the doctor's office say, "have a happy holiday" and it stopped me in my tracks.
Holiday? What holiday is it? Is one coming up?

Then I remembered that Independence Day was around the corner. It took me awhile because that's not on my top 10 holidays list. After St. Patrick's Day, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and Flag day...there just aren't many holidays that I think about a whole lot.

I do like the fact that we've changed Independence Day and identified it by the actual date. I wonder if we could get the same thing going for December 25th. Merry December 25th everyone!

Just a thought.

I've always thought it was interesting that we celebrate Labor Day by not working. I guess it's not any more quirky than celebrating Jesus resurrecting from the dead by hiding plastic eggs.

The thing about the Fourth of July is that people tend to think two things - fireworks and picnics. Primarily it's the fireworks. Every time I watch fireworks I think, this is the same thing with different colors over and over again. You could basically do this whole deal in two minutes - show all of the different tricks and colors...but you're going to put music to it and stretch it out for twenty, aren't you?

I think I'd like them better if there were helicopters flying above. It'd be like when you're at the driving range and the golf cart guy is out there sweeping up the loose balls. I'm guessing the fireworks wouldn't actually hurt a helicopter - but it'd be fun just to see a target. Maybe they could just put up a tethered balloon or something...although helium and fireworks might be bad.

Oh well, have a happy 29th of June!

1 comment:

  1. Helium is an inert gas (won't react with anything) so nothing would happen. The balloon might pop though. What would be exciting would be big Hydrogen filled balloons. Then when burning pieces of fireworks hit them they would pop the balloon leaving behind a nice, ultra-bright, ball of fire...ie Hindenburg.

    ReplyDelete