Thursday, October 13, 2005

The road far less traveled


18.75

I have two days, two hours and 45 minutes to use over the next 3 months on vacation. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I was on the YL staff for 10 years and have no idea what the vacation deal was. I know I took a week for my honeymoon….and a week in between Middletown and State College. So that’s two weeks every 10 years. But for some reason, since I have this stated “18.75” hours of vacation for the rest of this year (I guess I get 10 days every year) it just feels like I should use it. I don't think I ever would have thought about it if it wasn't stated...
I wonder if we’d all be more productive if we just worked…and when we really needed to go away…we just went. For some people that’s a couple of days every couple of months…and for some people it’d be a couple of weeks at least once a year.
People generally want to get away with whatever they can get away with. I’ve talked with folks who tell me that they have 3 weeks vacation, 8 sick days and 4 personal days to “use up”. That seems to me like they have 5 weeks and 2 days of vacation. They really do treat the sick and personal days as THEIR days.
That’s why stuff costs so much. People have to hire people to do the work of all the employees that are taking “sick” days to go to a baseball game. That extra cost of hiring a temp ends up costing me more money when I want to buy a bar of soap.
I just think that people will take whatever they can get away with. The most common question when talking with High School folks about relationships is “how far can I go” or talking with just about anybody, “Is that a sin?” They’re primary concern is, how far can I go….and still be ok with God?
My friend talks about the middle line of a road...and that’d Jesus. Most of us aren’t following the middle of our Road…or our center…we’re more concerned with, “how far off to the side can I go and still be a Christian?” Kids ask these questions, adults ask these questions, I ask these questions…

35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:
36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

No comments:

Post a Comment