Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Columbus Day Revisited

I'm taking today as my own personal Columbus Day.  I missed out yesterday on all the celebrations.

No spyglasses and funny hats.  No pasta fazool or skurvy.  I just sat around and didn't appreciate all that Chris brought us.
 
Did you know that Columbus, Ohio was named after him?  It's true.  Oh sure.  Yup.  Don't believe me?  Look it up.

Want to know something else?  In most grade school classes, he's seen as the guy who discovered this country and then helped the English take it from the people living here.  He was like that bully who took your lunch money and then years later you elected him mayor.

In any case, I missed it.  It dawned on me when I went out to get the mail....no mail...it must be a national holiday, or nobody likes me & nobody wants to sell me anything...
 
Well today is my Columbus day revisited.  Today I will wear funny hats, stay home while Annie goes to the dentist, eat some pizza and claim my neighbor's yard as my own. 

I think Chris would have wanted it that way...

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Peg9:53 AM

    Skurvy?

    I looked up the definition and it said "having a great talent for screenprinting or karaoke"...well, I guess I have done neither of these on Columbus Day but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
    Skurvy away, my friend!

    ReplyDelete