Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Best of both worlds

I have a new job.  I get to keep my old office.  I work with a new group of people.  I'm right across the hall from my old team.  I'm learning new systems/skills/plans.  I get to bring with me some of my old systems/skills/plans.
 
I've been in this new role for about a month now.  I'm still figuring out my new schedule and meeting new people...but it feels right.  It feels like home.  Not only do I get to do new stuff, but I can still do almost everything I was doing in my last role.  A lot of the stuff I just brought with me into my new role, and everything else I can do voluntarily.
 
Voluntarily is a big improvement in just about every role in life.  When something is part of your job then there's a question of motives.  "You're just here because you're paid to be here."  Volunteers don't hear that nearly as much.  Occasionally as a volunteer for an organization you still have people think you're just doing something as part of an organization...and not because you individually care about that particular person.  Volunteering for an organization isn't as organic as just doing great things for people...but it's been my experience that organizations are a lot better at consistent care for people. 
 
Not really my point - my point is really just that I was thinking about my new role...and I kind of like it.

3 comments:

  1. Auntie Peg9:16 AM

    I like your (blog's) facelift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, what is your new job if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a community pastor - work with groups here in the Cincinnati area...

    ReplyDelete